Tuesday 12 May 2015

My Name Is Erin And I'm Addicted To Lists



It's official. I am totally addicted to lists....

I was going to try and stop writing them because I was getting a little obsessive and then depressed over the fact I wasn't ticking everything off. When I make a list I get WAY to excited about all the things I want to achieve in the day and then on the days I wake up tired from a late night disturbed sleep ( kids right?!) I don't start out too well and probably spend a good hour and a half  downing a couple of coffees just to function. I must admit that having a good diet and exercise plan is definitely helping me manage my energy levels better though. So anyway now that I'm doing that I tend to get through a bit more and let's be honest I just can't stop writing lists.

Anything that doesnt get ticked off on the day gets transferred on to the next days list.  When I say I'm obsessed I'm not kidding, but it does helped me be organised in a BIG WAY. Here's an idea of the kinds of lists I create.

Streamline Action List:
This is a list of things I need to do/complete in order to make the day to day stuff I do more streamlined and keep housework stuff to a minimum.
Things like a clear out of toys for the kids  and moving all the toys into a playroom  where they can clearly see them and everything has a "home"  and rotate every few months or sort clothes for donating to make room in the drawers and making it easier to put away/find items.

Weekly task list:
This one is pretty self explanatory of all the things I would like to get done over the week. I'll write it at the beginning of the week and add to it throughout the week if I remember something else. It could be things like listing stuff online, cleaning an area of the house or doing a trip to the thrift shop to donate clothes.

Daily task list:
This one I write the night before and take some of the things from the weeks list and then add anything else I need to get done that day. I will even put in the stuff like a workout or bringing the bins in just to make sure I allow time for it. Plus it's pretty satisying putting a great big tick next to it or a line through it!

Timetable:
This is something I use to block out time for various things and I do it weekly. I always block out playtime for the kids and I usually try to get out of the house with them first thing and then get all my stuff down while they are having an afternoon nap. It might be a scheduled trip to the park, play date or indoor play cafe, basically anywhere Master almost three can run himself ragged and get those endorphins going. I will also block out workouts and what time my favourite tv programs are ( love a good renovation show) or any appointments and catch ups. The rest of the time is then pretty flexible to work any of my personal stuff around.


Streamline Shopping List:
This is a list of things I need to buy that make daily household stuff easier.
Here's a pic of the current list

Comping List: 
I spend a lot of time entering competitions. It's actually one way I earn a pretty decent income from home. In my comping lists I have which competitions I'm entering, the closing date, the number of times I can enter and how often and when the prize is drawn and then whether I won it or not. It's a great way of improving my chances of winning. Last year I banked $25,000 in cash and other various prizes including tickets, a local trip away and a whole heap of smaller stuff like recipe books ( a favourite) and DVDs. This year though I am being much more dedicated.

Shopping List:
I never shop without a shopping list and always have a piece of paper handy on the fridge to write things down as I think of them/run out of them. It means that firstly I don't forget stuff but also that I don't waste money on buying stuff I don't need.

The Next "Big Idea" List:
Anything that inspires something to help me make  or save money or a topic I want to research further, I have a space in a little book to write it down so it's all in one place. I actually have a "List Book" that consists of all of these lists, its rather OCD but hey it's how I roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment